In Spain, the Constitutional Court has decided that Cannabis Social Clubs infringe the law and that their activities cannot be regulated by regional parliaments if the Penal Code is not modified. Fifty years of relative tolerance come to a closure and a new stage, where legal uncertainty and repression will be the keynote, is now open. A new national regulation is the only way to overcome the...
En España, el Tribunal Constitucional ha decidido que los Clubes Sociales de Cannabis cometen un delito y que sus actividades no pueden ser reguladas por los parlamentos regionales si no se modifica el Código Penal. Se cierran cincuenta años de relativa tolerancia y se abre una nueva etapa, donde la inseguridad jurídica y la represión van a ser la tónica. Una nueva regulación nacional es la...
Photo credit Duncan C/Flickr...
Photo credit Duncan C/FlickrAbout three years ago, on 31 October 2014, EU pressure on Italy forced the end of one the EU’s most successful humanitarian missions, ‘Mare Nostrum’, a search-and-rescue operation that brought 130,000 refugees safely to Europe’s shores in just one year....
For those of you not able to attend the Public Forum on the EU's Multilateral Investment Court and its alternatives, we invite you to watch live at
The EU’s Multilateral Investment Court and its alternatives
22 September, 9:00 – 12:30, Résidence Palace, Rue de la Loi 155, Brussels
The first panel will provide a space to discuss the merits and perils of the Multilateral Investment Court as it has been proposed by the European Commission and situate it in the process of an uneven economic globalisation.
The second panel will look at alternative approaches to regulating investment and discuss experiences from around the world balancing the rights and obligations of investors.
1. Panel The Multilateral Investment Court: Merits and perils
• Dr Peter Schneiderhan, Board member of the German Association of Judges
• Gus van Harten, Professor at the Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
• Nele Eichhorn, Member of Cabinet of Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmström,
• Pia Eberhardt, Researcher Corporate Europe Observatory
2. Panel Alternative approaches to regulating investment
• Mustaqeem De Gama, Counsellor, South African Permanent Mission in Geneva
• Nathalie Bernasconi-Osterwalder, Head of the Economic Law & Policy
programme of the International Institute on Sustainable Development
• Guillaume Long, Ambassador, Ecuador Permanent Mission in Geneva
Moderated by Daniela Vincenti, Editor-in-chief at Euractiv