The DisCO Project represents a comprehensive framework to support the development of Distributed Cooperativism. It will provide:
- Comprehensive online educational resources and legal tools
- Accessible and customizable value-tracking software and collaborative tools
- Research and pilot projects
- Events for learning how to launch and operate a DisCO
Distributed Cooperative Organizations (DisCOs) are a P2P/Commons, cooperative and Feminist Economic alternative to Decentralised Autonomous Organizations (or DAOs).
DisCOs bring together the worlds of the Commons and P2P, Open and Platform Cooperativism, Distributed Ledger/Blockchain tech, and Feminist Economics together in a fresh, radical framework fit for addressing the challenges of our times.
Based on seven non-prescriptive principles (updated from the original cooperative principles), DisCOs are:
- Oriented towards social and environmental ends
- Multi-constituent in nature
- Active creators of commons
- Transnational in nature
- Centered on care work
- Prototypes for new flows of values
- Designed to be federated
DisCOs operate in the marketplace, fostering generative economic activity and fair conditions while also continually creating commons.
DisCOs are a real-world educational opportunity for those interested in creative work with a social and environmental benefit, open cooperativism, feminist economics and non-hierarchical organising in both digital and real-world spaces.
The aim is to showcase and share pilot experiences with self-organised workers worldwide, develop free tools and models and thoroughly documenting the progress of the project.
Read more in our publication: disco.coop/manifesto.
- If I Only Had a Heart: A DisCO Manifesto (7.25 MB)