Remunicipalisation: Global Report and Database Launch
This webinar will launch the Public Futures database and a global report on the state of remunicipalisation.
Public ownership of vital services including water, energy and healthcare is returning to the forefront of policy at the local level. As earlier experiences of privatisation have failed to deliver on promises of improved effectiveness, investment and modernisation, public services are being brought back in-house in an increasing number of towns, cities and regions around the world. This trend has come to be known as remunicipalisation. In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the importance of locally integrated public service delivery has become acutely evident.
- John McDonnell (Labour MP and former UK Shadow Chancellor)
- Daria Cibrario (Local and Regional Government Officer, Public Services International)
- Andrew Cumbers (author of Reclaiming Public Ownership: Making Space for Economic Democracy and University of Glasgow researcher)
- Laura Stegemann (University of Glasgow and TNI database research officer)
- Chaired by Bethia Pearson (Research Associate, ERC Global Remunicipalisation project) and Franziska Paul (Research Associate, ERC Global Remunicipalisation project)
For more information, please visit the Global Remunicipalisation project website