The Transnational Institute (TNI) analysed possible cannabis market regulation models (in Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark and the Netherlands) to allow local authorities to share best practices and improve the understanding of drug markets as a means to reduce the negative consequences of illicit drug markets on individuals and society. The outcomes will be shared with policy makers, local authorities, civil society, media, and academics to provide input for the EU level policy discussions.
In order to better understand the situation around, and possibilities for, local and regional cannabis regulation, a series of six country reports were developed. The country reports provide detailed information about the state of cannabis policy in each country, and the possibilities for change, within each country. A final comparative report
summarises some of the key findings from the research and explores opportunities, obstacles, and strategies for cannabis regulation at the municipal and regional level. A policy briefing
reflects the main points of the comparative report. In November 2018, the Cannabis in the City interactive seminar
brought together activists, scholars, and local policy makers to share the preliminary findings from this research, to discuss the challenges and opportunities for local authorities, and to strategise about possibilities for local cannabis regulation in Europe. The publications and conference are part of the "New Approaches in Harm Reduction Policies and Practices
- Briefing: Cannabis in the City: Bottom-up policy reform for cannabis regulation, TNI Drug Policy Briefing Nr. 51, March 2019
- Final report: Cannabis in the City: Developments in local cannabis regulation in Europe, March 2019
- Country reports
- Cannabis Regulation in Europe: Country Report Belgium, Tom Decorte, February 2019
- Cannabis Regulation in Europe: Country Report Denmark, Maj Nygaard-Christensen & Vibeke Asmussen Frank, February 2019
- Cannabis Regulation in Europe: Country Report Germany, Heino Stöver, Ingo Ilja Michels, Bernd Werse & Tim Pfeiffer-Gerschel, February 2019
- Cannabis Regulation in Europe: Country Report Netherlands, Dirk J. Korf, February 2019
- Cannabis Regulation in Europe: Country Report Spain, Xabier Arana, February 2019
- Cannabis Regulation in Europe: Country Report Switzerland, Frank Zobel, February 2019
- Conference report: Cannabis in the City: Regulation and local authorities in Europe, Interactive Seminar Brussels, 19-20 November 2018
This project has been funded with support from the European Commission. The publications reflect the views only of the authors, and the European Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.